Pages

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

a pair, and a pair

I have some blogger guilt.  Haven't posted in a while, so sorry :)  I didn't realize how busy I've been until I looked at the calendar today and realized it's the last day of July.  I did work on a few great things last week.



First up is this great pair of brass lamps.
I read an article that said you could use chalk paint on metal.  I was very hesitant at first, but since I snagged these guys off Craigslist for cheap I figured I'd give it a shot.  Slapped on the first coat and let it sit overnight, just in case it needed extra drying time.  It didn't, but who knew? :) 
If I were going for a super distressed look, the 1 coat would've done the trick, but I wanted these guys to look a little more finished.  While they were drying I got started on these awesome side tables.
I used some of the negotiating tips I learned here from the amazing Holy Craft, and got these tables for a steal!!
I knew right away that I wanted to use Valspar's flood tide(turned chalk paint) on the base and legs, but wasn't sure about the drawers.  While I figured that out I went back to my lamps that used 3 coats of Valspar's Lincoln cottage, turned chalk paint with my special recipe.  Then a coat of soft wax to seal em up, and check out the transformation!!
They look like they belong on my yellow buffet, and it was tough to let them go....but down to the shop they went!  I really love their shape and think the black suits them perfectly!!  While I was taking lamp photos I figured that the drawers on the side tables should be grey.  I would love to tell you the exact color, but I've mixed it up so many different times that it's now my "custom" grey.

And keeping up with that whole chalk paint on metal, I painted the hardware the same color as the tables.  I thought to give it a little character I would paint the "shell" detail the same as the drawers too.  The table bases and drawers each took 2 coats, a little distressing and some paste wax to seal them up. 
My husband rarely voices any opinions about the stuff I do other than to say "Good job babe!"  But these tables we had a half hour conversation about how they should stay at our house.  So you better get down to the shop and make them yours before he steals them back.





Head down to Persnickety's Awesomeness Emporium to check out my new stuff and all the other amazing pieces in the shop!!  Find us on Facebook at Persnickety's Awesomeness Emporium or Good one, Den! to see what we'll come up with, or just continue to follow along here!!!
Thanks!!!
Denniel




6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out! Glad my tips worked for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! Happy to get such good tips and pass them on whenever I can :)

      Delete
  2. Love this transformation - the colors are beautiful -
    Your newest follower - would love to have you visit and
    follow back when you can :)
    Hugs,
    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SO much!!! I will head over now and check you out, so to speak :)

      Delete
  3. Lovely colors! Like the handles painted to match the trim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patti!! It was a happy accident, but I think it turned out pretty cool :)

      Delete