Pages

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Potty Talk

I woke up inspired and motivated but didn't know what I wanted to work on.  Then it hit me!  A mini makeover for my under loved powder room.  It's the only room in our house that I didn't feel like I needed to paint when we moved in 2 years ago.  But I did have an idea.  I knew I wanted it to have black and white accessories, and the taupe/beige color it was worked well enough.  Until that is I noticed a few spots that needed to be touched up.  Luckily the previous homeowners left the paint they used behind and even labeled it.  Yay!!  Or so I thought.  The original paint was flat and the touch up paint was semi gloss.....
The one main wall had several spots that needed touch up, and after realizing I couldn't just leave the semi gloss splotches, I thought, hey, I can tape off a large square and use it to frame some kind of artwork or something. 
Not sure if you can really see the contrast in this picture, but I noticed it EVERY time I went in there.  About a month ago I had this funny idea to paint a smaller chalkboard square inside this square and write funny little sayings on it.  So when I decided today to do the mini makeover I knew I was grabbing the chalkboard paint for sure.  And then I thought, hey why not a border for this lovely "builder grade" mirror in here too!
I know you see those cute red mirrors and are thinking, wait I thought she said the powder room was black and white.  Well I got those mirrors as a housewarming gift from my awesome Aunt Debbie and loved them just as they are, so I added a cute red toned rug to make it all work together :)  I always thought that I would frame this mirror out, in my delusions of grandeur I would also paint this bathroom turquoise, add some wainscoting, and an amazing chandelier....but it's nice to have dreams right?  So for now I will tape and paint!!

So I got out my level, pencil, and painters tape and off I went!!  And because I'm vertically challenged I also dug out the step ladder to get the top of the mirror.  After 3 coats of Valspar's Chalkboard paint, I was ready to peel the tape and add some chalk.

I figure during the holidays I can draw stars or pumpkins, or whatever's seasonally appropriate.  Yes I realize the "saying" may not be everyone's sense of humor, but I live in a house with 3 boys, so potty talk and bathroom humor always gets a laugh.  Hope you enjoyed my mini makeover, it was fun and pretty easy and my family thinks it's great, which always helps!  Become a follower and see what else I come up with!


No comments:

Post a Comment